by Julie Urban
Summertime and the livin' is easy...but keeping up with the latest summer trends can be a chore, and not to mention, very costly. One of the many reasons to love summer is the footwear: flip-flops, wedges, strappy sandals, and open toe pumps, are finally back! Although it can be tempting, buying the latest styles each season can take a toll on your wallet. Take what you already have and turn it into something new with this super easy Do-It-Yourself summer sandal guide that will cost you only a fraction of buying a new pair of sandals. Plus, you'll be totally unique on the beach! These make great gifts for birthdays or a new graduate.
What You'll Need:
1 long bright scarf, either patterned or bold color
a pair of classic thong rubber sandals
hot glue gun (optional)
Did your sandals turn out super cute? I want to see! Tweet me photos of your DIY Summer Sandals and your outfit to match: @JewelE_City. The best ones will go on The Showcase Magazine Facebook and Twitter!
- The great thing about these sandals is there is no sewing needed! To start, cut your long scarf into two thinner pieces. Make sure you're keeping the length, just dividing the width in half when you cut.
- Fold one piece of the scarf in half length wise, and wrap it around the base of sandal that goes in between your toes. The best way to do this is pull the ends thru the loop and around the base so you don't have to use the hot glue gun just yet.
- Wrap each piece of the scarf around each of the thongs on the sandal. Make sure you wrap it tightly so you can't see any of the flip flop's original color.
- Once you've done each strap and you get to the base, tie the scarf in a knot. You can also wrap it around twice and use the hot glue gun to keep it in place.
- There should be a lot of extra fabric, hanging off the back of your flip flop, but don't cut it! Use the extra fabric to criss- cross around your ankle and tie in a pretty bow on the outside of your ankle.